Job Description: Certified Welder (PEN000338)
Position Pending Contract Award
This position description is subject to change at any time as needed to meet the requirements of the program or company.
Under the supervision of the Supervisor, Welder performs journeyman level Arc, Tig, Mig, & Oxygen/Acetylene welding, Brazing, Oxygen & Acetylene cutting, Carbon-arc cutting/gouging, Plasma Arc cutting on a wide array of military vehicles & customer requested metal fabrications IAW Air Force Technical manuals & AWS Welding Code requirements. Also performs metal fabrications as directed.
MAJOR JOB ACTIVITIES:
Please list by order of priority and, if possible, provide the percentage of time spent on the activity all should equal 100%.
- Performs journeyman level welding/cutting & metal fabrications in the Allied Trades Welding shop & Field support welding/fabrication/repairs as required.
- Reads blueprints, sketches and modification orders to plan the process and layout to be performed in an expeditious, economical and effective manner.
- Fabricates metal products per technical drawings or customer provided samples by welding/cutting/fabricating various metals.
- Repairs a wide array of military equipment utilizing welding techniques and appropriate welding equipment.
- Cleans & Prepares surfaces to be welded. Sets up, assembles, and tack welds fabricated metal parts.
- Builds up worn or defective surfaces as required.
- Utilizes Oxygen/Acetylene, Carbon Arc, Plasma cutting equipment to dismantle assemblies and to cut material to size and shape. Perform Demill operations as required.
- Operate/maintain electric hand/pneumatic power tools, i.e. grinders, sanders, needle guns, drills, saws, metal shears & shop supported fabrication equipment.
- Operate/maintain GFE: i.e. portable welding equipment, air compressors, and forklifts.
- Maintain records of work performed.
- Responsible for observing all current ES&H and fire regulations.
- Maintain a safe work area by setting up appropriate welding screens, warning devices, and proper vehicle/equipment placement.
- Assists in maintaining adequate stockage of bench/shop stock supplies.
- Prepares necessary paperwork showing labor and supplies used for job order.
- Performs other duties and assignments as required.
MATERIAL & EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
- Arc, Tig, & Mig Welding Machines & Oxygen/Acetylene Torch Outfit, Carbon-Arc cutting/gouging equipment, Plasma Arc cutting equipment and standard tools/equipment related to the trade.
- Material Handling Equipment: Forklifts, Pallet Jacks etc.
- Respirators & Air Supplied Welding Helmets.
- Personal Protective Equipment: Safety Glasses, Coveralls, Safety Boots, Welding Leathers, Welding Helmet, Welding Gloves, Flame retardant clothing, Hearing Protection.
Work is generally conducted in an office environment and at project work areas. Duties, however, may involve the conduct of work outdoors with potential exposure to extreme climatic conditions. May be required to work other than standard work hours to ensure effective customer support.
- Work will require lifting up to 50 lbs., stooping, climbing, prolonged standing, prolonged sitting and working with or in areas where
- a potential could exist for exposure to physical, chemical or biological agents. Employee use of Personal Protective Equipment
- (PPE) is required in certain areas. Such PPE includes but is not limited to head, foot, hand, torso, respiratory, vision and hearing
- Protective devices. Must comply with OSHA, EPA, and Fire Regulations and published company work rules.
Education/Certifications: One year related experience may be substituted for one year of education, if degree is required.
High School graduate or equivalent.
Minimum of 10 years’ experience in Weld Shop operations and the utilization of tools and equipment or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must be able to pass & maintain AWS Welding Code Certifications as required.
Knowledge of a variety of computer software applications, in word processing, spreadsheets, database and presentation software. Good verbal and written communication skills are essential. Experience with Government Performance Work Statements or Government Contracting work is a plus.
Primary Location: Middle East
Clearance Level required at Start Date: Secret
Travel: Yes, 15 % of the Time